Thursday, October 21, 2010

New, Beaned?, Pools and A Reminder. . .

New Member
We've had some interesting stories from our new members, but few as compelling as Sergeant Brian Mcgory's, "I ran my first 5k in the spring of 2005 while deployed to Kuwait and became instantly hooked on races. I ended up running every race they had, including the Peachtree 10k that was run in conjunction with the race here in the U.S. It became my goal to do the Broad Street Run which
I finally completed in 2009 after my second deployment to Iraq, despite never having run more than 7 miles. I made it a point to do a 5k per month after Iraq and earn myself many shirts. Here I am in Afghanistan now and while medical conditions currently prevent me from running how I want and how I know I am capable, I still run 3 times a week on a treadmill and refuse to go less than 4 miles. It is currently my goal to return home in time to run Broad Street again in 2011 and then my first half marathon in Jan 2012 in Disney. While my pace is much slower than it was just a year ago, I am adjusting to being a slower runner and still manage to enjoy racking up the miles.  I enjoy running for the health aspects as well as the proverbial"runner's high" after a good run. I always find it exciting and fun to run in new areas and to do races through scenic locations. Hence the desire to run Disney. "

Also welcome Mary Grucella.  Mary tells us, "I'm very much into 5k runs and try to do at least 2-3 a month."

Boston Registration
Wow!  If you snoozed, you loozed!  Boston closed in 8 hours, a record.  Hard to believe that there are THAT many runners faster than me?  Congratulations if you made it, condolences if you were shut out.  Boston is getting to be almost as popular as Mudfest!

Carpools? 
Several races with carpool opportunities coming up.  First is the Evansburg trail 10 Miler on 10/31.  The race is at 10:00 so we'll  leave from the Quakertown Park & Ride at 8:30.  The Oley 10M/5K and Bear Creek Trail 10K/5K are both on 11/7.  The Oley carpool needs to leave from the same spot at 7:00.  Bear Creek at 8:30.  Later in November, we have Berwick on 11/25 and the Dirty Bird on 11/28.  Let me know if you're interested in any of these and I'll set things up.  Contact me at bill.tuszynski@gmail.com.  I'm running in all of the above except the 11/7 races.

Getting Lucky
Jim Higgins passes along the following from a friend of his.  a reminder that while we are in shape, we are neither bulletproof nor immortal.

"On Tuesday, October 5th, I saw my doctor concerning some chest pain I was having when I exercised.  My chest felt tight above my heart and I had some pain radiating out to my arms.  The pain was not present when I was at rest.  After speaking to a Cardiologist (close friend of my doctor's and a fellow MS-150 rider) I checked myself into St. Mary hospital's emergency room.  He was concerned that I had some classic symptoms and wanted me to have a catheterization.  A neighbor of mine is a nurse at the hospital and came down to the ER when she got a phone call that I was there.  She advised me to have the catheterization performed immediately.  I'm really glad she was there.  I was in the ER by 3:00 and the catheterization was started before 5:00.  I was very lucky.  My Left Arterial Decending  (LAD) was 99% blocked.  The catheterization was successful and it opened up the artery. 

Later that night, I was in my room and the nurse was going to pull the catheter sheath from my leg.  When they do that procedure, they have to apply pressure on the femeral artery to keep you from bleeding.  As I learned later, there is a nerve in that area that can make you black out (if you are sensitive to pain).  Guess what, I am.

Unfortunately, not only did I pass out, my heart stopped for 27 seconds (Before you ask, I did not see "the light").  When I woke up I had 8 extra people in my room.  They all had these worried looks on their faces.


Anyway, I am fine.  The only pain I have now is in my leg where the catheter was inserted and my chest where CPR was applied.  I will have to wear a monitor for a few weeks, but I actually feel better than when I went in.  I guess that's the idea."

Club Races
Do the Ghouls & Fools so you can cross it off your bucket list - if you survive.

Oct 23: Ghouls & Fools Night 6.5M Trail, Reading PA
Nov 13: Macoby Run Run 5M/5K/1M, Green Lane PA
Nov:27: Habitat for Humanity 5K, Quakertown PA
Nov 27: Historic Bethlehem Turkey Trot, Bethlehem PA
Nov 28: Dirty Bird 15K Trail, French Creek State Park, PA
Dec 4: Jingle Bell 5K, Bethlehem PA
Dec 12: Jingle Bell 5K, Malvern PA
Jan 16: Chilly Cheeks 7.2M Trail, Reading PA

Website
Visit the club website, www.buxmontrunning.com and check out the "Athlete Profile" page featuring short self-written bios of club members. That I'm on there proves you don't have to be a good athlete to be on the page! Send yours to either me or Tom Daugherty (tomdaugherty@verizon.net). Tom actually does the work in his function as webmeister.

Group Runs - Suggest Confirming With the Listed Contact On Any Given Week!
Wednesday: Upper Perk HS 6:00 PM - Speed Workout, Dean Johnson 
Saturday: Tennis Zone (former Upper Bucks YMCA on California Rd.) 8:00 AM, Jerry Washcalus, Tom Daugherty  or Bill Tuszynski bill.tuszynski@gmail.com
Saturday: Perkiomen Trail (Crusher Road) 8:00 AM, Bill Blair
Sunday: Lehigh Valley Parkway, 7:00/7:30/8:00 AM, Loops from 6.65-21+ miles, Gene Lund, Debi Golbreski
Sunday: Perkiomen Trail (Crusher Road) 10:00 AM, Randy Opdyke

 Race Results
Congratulation to Jack Heely for hitting 50, marathons that is. 

10/17/10
PEI Marathon (265)
Jack Heely - 3:59:42, 138th

Nike Women's Marathon (San francisco)
Lauren Garges - 3:44:41, 576th

Atlantic City Marathon (505)
Jerry Rossetti - 3:38:31, 87th, AG1

10/16/10
Mountain Madness 50K (104)
Bob Bodkin - 8:16:36, 72nd

Women's 5.3M (250)
Nicole Lisicky - 39:39, 16th, AG3
Michelle Garges - 49:07, 138th
Michelle Litke - 50:39, 165th
Linda Karp - 52:58, 216th
Lisa Ackerman - 54:56, 256th
Christine Torchia - 55:23, 258th, AG1
Lora Sigler - 56:57, 288th

Women's 5K
Stacy Kuntzmann - 26:14, 118th

Towpath Trot 6K (53)
John  Guth - 25:58, 3rd

Hatfield Pump & Run 5K (113)
Nolan Pernia - 21:20, 19th, AG3
Warren Taylor - 22:43, 31st, AG1
Ruth King - 23:52, 35th, AG2
Cesar Pernia - 24:16, 39th
Zach Pernia - 34:15, 94th

Race Calendar (Club Races in Bold)
October
16: Alex Boyes 5K, Warminster PA, www.runtheday.com
16: Run for the Buds Half-Marathon/5K, Wilmington DE, www.runforthebuds.org
16: Nether Providence 5K, Wallingford PA, www.netherprovidence.org
16: Black Bear Century Ride 32M-106M, Delaware water Gap PA, www.scapnrascal.com
16: Towpath Trot 6K/1M, Walnutport PA, janets63@gmail.com
16: Women's 5K, Allentown PA., www.womens5kclassic.org
16: Hatfield AC 5K, Hatfield PA, www.hatfieldathleticclub.com
17: Run for Security 5K/1M, Villanova PA, www.runtheday.com
17: Atlantic City Marathon, Atlantic City NJ, www.acmarathon.org
17: Kimmy Gallow 5K, Easton PA, www.kimmyfgallow5k.webs.com
17: Camphill Bike Challenge 10M/33M/50M, kimberton PA, www.camphillspecialschool.org
17: Bow Tree 5K/10K, West Chester PA, www.bowtreerun.org
23: Uff is Tough 5K/Fun Run/walk, Aston PA, www.uffistough.com
23: Phoenixville 10K/5K/1M, Phoenixville PA, www.phoenixvillerun.com
23: Bobtoberfest 4M, Kelly Drive, Phila PA, www.brynmawrrunningco.com
23: Ghouls & Fools Night 6.5M Trail Run, Reading PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com
24: Edge Adventure Race, Downingtown PA www.goalsara.org
24: Toys for Tots 5K Walk / Run, Wilmington DE, www.runtheday.com
24: Octorun 13K, Hatfield PA, scotttutton@comcast.net
30: Skeleton Skurry 5K/2M, Hatboro PA, gchamberlain@philaymca.org
30: Monster Mash 5K, Ridley Park PA, www.meetup.com/dragonboatcrew
30: Run Like Hell 5K, Fish Hatchery, Allentown PA www.runlehighvalley.com
30: Monster Mash 5K, Newtown Square PA
31: Bethlehem Halloween 5K, Bethlehem PA, www.bethlehem5k.com
31: October Lauf Fest 1/2 Marathon, Philadelphia PA, www.uberendurancesports.com
31: Radnor Run 5M, Wayne PA, www.lunginfo.org.radnorrun
31: Evansburg Challenge Trail 10M & 4.6M Fun Hike, Evansburg State Park, Collegeville PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com

November
6: Warrior 5K, Norristown PA, www.sites.google.com/site/warrior5k
6: Transitions Autumnfest 5K, Washington NJ, www.raceforum.com/transitions
6: Bird in Hand Half Marathon, lancaster PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com
7: Bear Creek 5K/10K Trail, Macungie PA, http://www.runreg.com/events/register.asp?eventid=2287
7: Greyhound Freedom 5K/2M Walk, Yyler Park, Newtown PA, www.runtheday.com
7: Oley Valley 10M/5K, Oley PA, www.pagodapacers.com
7: Kristin's Krusade 5K Run/Walk, Saint Joseph's University, Philadelphia, www.kristinskrusade.org
7: Cooper Norcross Bridge Event 10K/2M, Camden NJ, www.runthebridge.org
13: Autism Cares 10K/5K/2M, Richboro PA, www.raceforresources.kintera.org
13: Y12K 12K, Philadelphia PA, www.whyy.org/12k
13: HTCC Pump & Run 5K, Bethlehem PA, www.hanovertwp-nc.org 13: High Point Hills 5K, Chalfont PA, www.actsportsmanagement.com
13: Macoby Run Run 5M/5K/1M, Macoby Run Golf Course Green Lane PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com
14: South Mountain 10M/5K, Hellertown PA, www.lvrr.org
14: Harrisburg Marathon, Harrisburg PA, www.harrisburgmarathon.com
14: Trimax Media Mud Stain 5M/10M, www.trimaxendurancesports,com
14: Thon 5K, Reading PA, ejy5014@psu.edu
20: Towamencin Turkey Trot 5K, Lansdale PA, www.towamencin.org
20: Stone Mill 50M, near Frederick MD, www.stone-mill-60-mile.org
20-21: Philadelphia Marathon/Half Marathon/8K, Philadelphia PA, www.philadelphiamarathon.com
21: Fallen leaves 7K, East Allen Tsp. PA, ed.e4events@gmail.com
25: Run for the Diamonds 9M, Berwick PA, /www.runfordiamonds.com
25: Bucks County RR Turkey Trot 5M, Tyler Park, Newtown PA, www.bcrr.info
25: Pumpkin Pies 5K/1.5M, Nazareth PA, www.nazarethymca.org
25: Abington Gobble Wobble 5K, Abington PA, www.philaymca.org
27: Habitat for Humanity 5K, Quakertown PA, www.habitat.org
27: Historic Bethlehem Turkey Trot, Bethlehem PA, www.historicbethlehem.org
28: Alvernia 5K, Reading PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com
28: Celebrate Joan 5K, Allentown PA, www.celebratejoan.com
28: Dirty Bird Trail 15K, French Creek State Park, www.pretzelcitysports.com

December
4: Festive 5K Run/Walk, Coatesville PA, www.brandywinefoundation.org
4: Jingle Bell 5K, Bethlehem PA, davee58@msn.com
5: Tour Tyler 5.3M, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
5: Shiver by the River 10K/5K, Reading PA, www.pagodapacers.com
11: Christmas City Challenge 5M, Bethlehem PA, www.peakrace.com
11: Reindeer Romp 5K/3K, Havertown PA, www.reindeerromp.org
12: Jingle Bell 5K, Malvern PA, www.jbrphilly.kintera.org
12: Covered Bridge 5K, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
19: Predict Your Time 5.3M, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info

January
1: Cham-pain 5K, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
2: Shiver by the River 10K/5K, Reading PA, www.pagodapacers.com
9: Predict Your Time 5.3, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
16: Chilly Cheeks 7.2M Trail, Reading PA, www.pretzelcitysports.com
16: Polar Bear 8M, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
23: Honest Abe 4.6, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info
30: Terrible Tyler 15K, Tyler State Park, Newtown PA, www.brcc.info

Keep me posted on favorite races and your race results.
Bill

No comments:

Post a Comment