Thursday, February 3, 2011

New Members, Going Further South, Frostbite & Clean Air

 New Members
Welcome to Ashley Malm.  Ashley tells us, "I started running track in college at NJIT in 2005 just to stay in shape.  I wasn't very fast, but I fell in love with distance running.  After quitting track I began to run on my own and have done 5Ks, 10Ks, and this past year a couple half-marathons.  Now I'm ready to try my hand at a marathon and have plans to run Boston and New York.  For me it's not about the speed, but how far I can go."

Lori Shaw and James Rizol also join our posse.

Southern Marathon
Many runners head south in search of early season marathons.  Here's almost the ultimate - the McMurdo Marathon in Antarctica.  The second most southerly marathon in the world.  http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/30/sports/30antarctica.html?ref=sports

Another Chance to Freeze
Don't feel like traipsing to Antarctica?  Here's a local opportunity to freeze to death.  Not quite that bad but mark February 19 on your calendar for the Frostbite 5 Miler.  The race is put on by our friends to the south in the Ambler Area Running Club and directed by our own Ira Meyers.  The race attracts a big enough crowd for chip timing.  So go to www.aarclub.com to find out more and register.

Race Discount
This from the Clear Air Council of Phila.  I'll pass along the discount code in a future newsletter.:  As January comes to a close, Clean Air Council can

No comments:

Post a Comment